Wednesday, April 28, 2010

Day 27 - Cave-in-Rock, IL

awoke today to a beautiful morning. nice day for a ride ! today was a 50+ mile run to cave-in-rock. the underground railroad bike route ends for me there, and I pick up the transamerica route there. from there, I head due west toward pueblo, CO.

enjoyed a ride of mostly gently terrain, thankfully replete with lots of flat sections and few climbs. got to the Ohio river to catch the free ferry across to CiR. the state park there is right next to the ferry landing. a quick stop at the post office to pick up a care package of some minor replenishments and treats. rode up the hill to a nice quiet camp spot. the park has a restaurant close by, so treated myself to a good meal before turning in.

first in line to get on the ferry were a couple of local men who were on there way to elizabethtown (nearest alcohol). they offered to pick up some beer for me. sounded good, so they met me at my camp site and had our own version of happy hour !

not a hard ride today, but all the cumulative miles, especially so much climbing since turning north on gulf shores, AL have caught up to me. very tired legs and body. need to take Thursday off; should be nice out, so a good day to relax and recharge.

today: 54 miles
to date: 1516

3 comments:

  1. If you had a day off you should have phoned in to the TH schedule meeting.......we've got lots to tell you about....though I guess your reading all about it in the news.
    Jeff Turner just stopped by to give me your update.......your making great progress (unlike our DC41 change-out). Keep it up. All the best TH/ATL Planning Team

    ReplyDelete
  2. Donnie, (we meet at Pedal the Pines in Bastrop)

    Great to read about your travels, cannot believe how far you have made it in such a short time.

    Good luck, looking forward to your updates....

    Sam Steeley

    ReplyDelete
  3. Sounds like a great day!

    ReplyDelete