Tuesday, April 27, 2010

Day 26 - Grand Rivers, KY

I enjoyed the unplanned cabin. cooked out last night the meal I got provisions for, my version of a crude hamburger helper: ground beef, elbow mac and tomato soup. doesn't sound like much, but it sure goes down well after a long ride. saved leftover for lunch today ...

very nice ride from Dover to grand rivers on easy rollers of gradual climbs and descents. I expected chilly and rainy weather with headwinds. got plenty of all of that. got a break in the weather later in the ride to heat up leftovers on the Coleman stove. THAT hit the spot! by the time I hit grand rivers, it was still raining. I knew it was supposed to clear up and I had planned to camp, but the opportunity did not appear imminent. so, again, I had to opt for the unplanned room. good thing I'm on vacation and budgeted for plenty of hotel cost !!
... and as luck would have it, the skies began to clear after I checked in. looks like a fine day tomorrow to make my push to cave-in-rock, IL, to join my next Adventure Cycling route, the TransAmerica.

I found the first bike shop, Wood and Wave, in weeks as I pulled into town. they fixed me up with coffee and a new stem for the bike as a way of addressing recurring compressed-nerve numbness in the hands. got some gels to go, just in case...

great route today thru the Land Between the Lakes park. would love to do this ride on a nice day with my time trial bike !

today: 52
to date: 1462

4 comments:

  1. I have goodies in the package waiting for you at Cave-In-Rock...I hope you enjoy it!.....xoxo

    ReplyDelete
  2. Be careful with all those unrefridgerated leftovers, I would hate for you to poison yourself :) Sounds like you are having fun albeit the nasty conditions. Nice to talk to you tonight. I love you daddy and am sooo proud of you!!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I just looked at your GPA tracker again and I am thinking, "Left dad, CUT LEFT, HEAD ACROSS the country not up!" lol, Illinois here you come!

    ReplyDelete
  4. hey!!!!! finally got my computer back and checking in on you! sounds like the adventure you yearned for. packing up for white lake half IM this weekend. 88 degrees here forecasted, and wind. sure NOTHING compared to what you've been up to. congrats on the courage and the commitment to see this thru! you're awesome. i will promise you some fabulous well-deserved seafood if you ever make it back to NC. have a safe weekend!!

    tonya

    ReplyDelete